Pages


Sunday, March 4, 2012

March Monthly Reads

Title: Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Release Date: November 15th 2011 by Harper/HarperCollins
Edition: Hardcover, 338 pages

Synopsis:
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.

Title: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Release Date: October 1st 2008 by Scholastic Inc.
Edition: Hardcover, 374 pages


Synopsis:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

9 comments:

  1. I keep seeing Shatter Me all over the place. I think it's time I pick up a copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I didn't like Shatter Me as much as I thought I would have D: Too much romance for me, I suppose. But I definitely loved The Hunger Games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it looks interesting, but I've read some bad reviews about the writing. Was it just the romance that you weren't a fan of? Or do you think the writing could've been better too?

      Delete
    2. I didn't pay attention much to the writing style, to be honest. It was okay for me. What really bothered me though was:

      1. Warren was considered a love interest. Even after kidnapping Juliet and imprisoning her.
      2. It's classified as a dystopia, but most of the essential dystopic elements aren't mentioned.
      3. Again, most of the book was romance and making out with Adam. Yeah, not my type of book :/

      Delete
    3. Oh ok. Thanks Rachael!! I might just borrow it from my library so it's not a waste of money if I don't like it.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Shatter Me yet, but it's on my list. I know its had some bad reviews... but I usually like to decide that for myself (only difference is I try to get book with lots of bad reviews from the library rather than buying them)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking too. You can always buy a book later if you like it, right? :)

      Delete